Robert Barrable set five fastest stage times in the Hyundai i20 R5 on his way to finishing second on the Cartell.ie International Rally of the Lakes (April 28-30).
Co-driven by Damien Connolly, the 29-year old Dublin driver was in a close battle for victory throughout the two-day event, which was played out over the spectacular stages around the host town of Killarney. It turned into a straight fight between Barrable and Sam Moffett, but an overshoot near the end saw Barrable settle for an excellent second place in the Patch Tyre Equipment, Michelin tyres and Michael Barrable Motors supported i20 R5 – in only his second appearance in the car. With two podium finishes under his belt, the result maintains Barrable’s challenge mid-way through the Clonakilty Blackpudding Irish Tarmac Championship.
Robert said: “First place would have been nice, but we have to be happy with finishing second on such a tough and highly-competitive event. It was only our second event in the Hyundai i20 R5, and we were making little experimental tweaks to the set-up before each loop of stages. There were very mixed conditions on Saturday and we didn’t start well, but after that things improved. We made a mistake and took too softer tyres on day two and when we overshot a junction three stages from home it brought home that Sam Moffett was perhaps just a little too far in front to catch. That said, it was a great battle with Sam and I really enjoyed it.
“With a second and a third place finish under our belts, it keeps us in the Irish Tarmac Championship fight. We set five fastest overall stage times on the Rally of the Lakes, which proves that the car is really good on the Irish lanes. I think we could go really well in Donegal, and it’s a rally I think we could win in the Hyundai.”
The next round of the Irish Tarmac Championship is the Donegal International Rally (16-18 June).
Rally of the Lakes – top 10 result
1. Sam Moffett/Karl Atkinson (Ford Fiesta)….1:54:56.4
2. Robert Barrable/Damien Connolly (Hyundai i20 R5)….+16.5
3. Stephen Wright/Arthur Kierans (Ford Fiesta)….+3:58.6
4. Joseph McGonigle/Ciaran Geaney (SKODA Fabia R5)….+4:11.2
5. Tomas Davies/Eurig Davies (Ford Fiesta)….+7:21.5
6. Brendan Cumiskey/Ronan O’Kane (SKODA Fabia)….+8:10.7
7. Aaron Machale/Darragh Kelly (Citroen DS3 R5)….+9:39.9
8. Joe Connolly/Richard Connolly (Ford Fiesta)….+11:55.9
9. Pauric Duffy/Kevin Glynn (Ford Fiesta)….+12:06.8
10. Gavin Kelly/Elaine NiShe (Mitsubishi Lancer Evo 9)….+14:23.1
Photographs supplied with the kind permission of Kevin O’Driscoll.