Conor Daly to Drive for Schmidt Peterson Motorsports in 99th Running of Indianapolis 500
After much hard work, patience and tenacity, it was announced today at Barber Motorsports Park that American driver Conor Daly will pilot a third entry for Schmdit Peterson Motorsports (SPM) at the 99th running of the Indianapolis 500 on Sunday, May 24th. Daly will drive the No. 43 Honda-powered Dallara for his second start in the Greatest Spectacle in Racing.
“I am ecstatic to partner with Schmidt Peterson Motorsports for the 99th running of the Indianapolis 500. I have had a great relationship with Sam Schmidt since driving for him in Indy Lights and I’ve always wanted a shot with his Verizon IndyCar Series team. It’s an honor to make my second attempt at running the Indy 500.
“I can’t thank everyone enough who have put in the hours to pull this program together. I am confident we will all benefit from this relationship going forward and I can’t wait to get to work on the track!”
SPM team owner Sam Schmidt commented, “Conor raced for our team in Indy Lights in 2011 for a partial season before heading off to Europe, so we know what he is capable of. He deserves to be competing in the IndyCar Series full time and we’re honored to be providing this opportunity.”
Sponsorship and livery for Daly’s No. 43 entry will be unveiled in the upcoming weeks. Practice for the 99th running of the Indianapolis 500 begins on Monday, May 11th.
Conor winning at Long Beach in 2011, driving for Sam Schmidt Motorsports in the Firestone Indy Lights race
In 2014, Daly competed in the GP2 Championship. In 2013, he competed in the GP3 Championship where he finished 3rd. He also drove for AJ Foyt Racing as a rookie in the Indianapolis 500 finishing 22nd.
ABOUT SCHMIDT PETERSON MOTORSPORTS:
Schmidt Peterson Motorsports (SPM) was established in 2001 and is owned by former IndyCar driver Sam Schmidt and Canadian businessman Ric Peterson. SPM fields cars in both the Verizon IndyCar Series and the Indy Lights Series presented by Cooper Tires. SPM is the most successful team in Indy Lights Series history with sixty-five race wins and seven championships. In addition, SPM won the coveted Indy 500 pole position in 2011, and has won five Verizon IndyCar Series races between 2013 and 2015.
* 2015 Long Beach Grand Prix – Dale Coyne Racing
* 2014 GP2 Series – Venezuela GP Lazarus
* 2013 GP3 – Placed 3rd in GP3 Championship – 1 Win, Valencia
* 2013 Indianapolis 500 – AJ Foyt Racing
* 2012 Won MRF Challenge Championship, India with four wins
* 2012 GP3 Series -Lotus GP – Scored 1st GP3 win in Barcelona, Spain
* 2012 Sahara Force India – Participated in two F1 data aero mapping tests
* 2011 GP3 Series – Carlin Racing
* Indy Lights – Sam Schmidt Motorsports – Led Indy Light championship after three
rounds after winning at Long Beach, CA before heading to Europe
* 2010 Formula Star Mazda Champion
* Record setting year – 9 Poles, 11 Podiums, 7 Wins, most laps led and largest
points winning margin in history of series
* 2008 Won Walter Hayes Trophy (FF1600), Silverstone, England
– First American and youngest ever winner at that time
* 2008 Won Skip Barber National Championship – 5 Wins
* 2008 Won Canadian Formula Ford 1600 Rookie of the Year
– 5 consecutive wins
* 2006 Three time World Karting Association Champion
* 2005 Kart Racers of America Junior Driver of the Year